Welcome to my site!

Over the years, I've always found myself working on various projects, for school, for others, for enjoyment and for myself...

I've dabbled in video editing, photo manipulation, audio mixing, podcast creation, game editing, storytelling, roleplaying & a host of other things I find entertaining.

Here I present my projects, both past and present. Have a look around; use the categories above to sort through various project types. As I rummage through my digital clutter and create new stuff, I'll continue updating this site. Comment if you want, and enjoy!




Tuesday, November 19, 2013

STO Original Artwork (Graphical Ship Charts by Spidermitch)

I used to actively play a MMO known as Star Trek Online. While there were many resources available, there was no ability to preview ships / stats at a quick glance. A member of the community abandoned a shipchart concept he started, and I decided to create one. What started out as a simple concept: create a shipchart that showed 'multiple angles of each ship & the stats of those ships' had become a major project. I developed these charts since June of 2010, and was urged to post it on the STO forums from some friends around August of 2010. The reaction I got was phenomenal, and as the game continued to grow, so did the attention to my 'little graphical shipchart'. Members of the community helped me in keeping these things up-to-date and accurate, and it's to that community which I gladly shared my little contribution to STO. In September of 2012, after a major update to STO added a flood of new ships, I decided to stop working on the project. I posted the following to the forum:
To all those that supported and used these charts: I have enjoyed making these charts & contributing to the passion of this community. It's what's tied me to this game (in an unofficial capacity) and I've always looked at this project as a "labor of love." But moving forward, I don't think I can give the attention needed to continue making this resource - at least not in the capacity that everyone using it deserves. I used to keep track of the dev blogs and listen to podcasts, anticipating new ships as they came out (often showing on the shipcharts with "placeholders"). I was usually on tribble with the test ships AS SOON as they were available; those that weren't on Tribble, I'd beg others for screenshots of the latest and greatest ship. With time constraints on me and working two jobs just to make ends meet, I really don't think I can continue, no matter how much I wish I could. If it was a paid gig, then yeah! bring it on! but, as I said, it's always been a "labor of love" and sometimes, love just isn't enough. *sad panda*   Don't want to leave on a sad note though... I again want to thank everyone who's supported this project and gave me encouragement. Working on something like this for the better part of 2 years is a commitment I have enjoyed and held proudly. It's our love of Star Trek & it's ideals that unites us all - as a community and through our humanity, and I've learned so much through doing this for everyone. Thanks & I'll see you all in the stars...

For the sake of completion, I've included all three final pieces here.  I may wind up uploading each version, to show the evolution of them, but that's for a rainy day :)
Note: added FULL RESOLUTION links of final renders.


SpiderMitch's STO Fed Ship Tier Chart
Click below for Low Res preview, click here for FULL RESOLUTION




SpiderMitch's STO SS Ship Tier Chart
Click below for Low Res preview, click here for FULL RESOLUTION




SpiderMitch's STO KDF Ship Tier Chart
Click below for Low Res preview, click here for FULL RESOLUTION




1 comment:

  1. There do not appear to be full-res versions of these available; clicking on the federation chart only gives a 1600 width image, as an example. No text is legible.

    ReplyDelete